The words “spanner” and “wrench” mean different things depending on where you’re from. Whilst the former is commonly used outside North America (U.S.A), both words denote the same meaning: a tool that is used for adding grip and providing mechanical advantage when turning bolts, nuts and other forms of rotary fasteners in order to unloosen them. But that was several decades ago when regular mail was still a thing and electric cars were nothing but a dream.
Today, we speak in terms motorized wrenches. A bit of a mystery -like the metal snake (train)- but this tool actually does the trick. The hardest thing, however, is finding the best impact wrench. But when all is said and done, the DEWALT 20V MAX Lithium Ion 1/2″ High Torque Impact Wrench DCF889M2 is the cream of the crop. Doubtful?? Well, let this Dewalt cordless impact wrench review change your mind.
Pros & Cons
Based on an analysis of online reviews, this product gets 4.5 out of 5 Stars. This isn’t just testament to an excellent balance between strengths and flaws, but a clear indication that customers have found it useful in achieving what it is said to be capable of. So, without further ado, let’s highlight the different pros and cons of this wonderful innovation.
| || |
Dewalt Cordless Impact Wrench Frequently Asked Questions Answered
1. Can I use this for automotive tasks?
Yes, why not? After all, wrenches were originally created with that in mind. Not only is it ideal for small vehicles, but for an additional $20 you also get a deep impact socket set primed for a diverse range of bolts and nuts, therefore making it suitable for heavy vehicles as well.
2. Is there torque adjustment?
As mentioned earlier, torque adjustment is a leading innovation that has a lot of customers gasping for breath with excitement. New models can achieve a maximum torque of up to 400 ft pounds, making it capable of being used in a wide range of heavy duty unloosening and fastening applications.
3. What about speed?
Because of an adjustable speed trigger and brake, the DEWALT 20V MAX Lithium Ion 1/2″ High Torque Impact Wrench has improved control compared to other brands. And even though it doesn’t have adjustable speed settings, the manually adjusted trigger works just fine.
4. How long is a single charge?
Up to 4 hours. However, this varies according to how often you charge it between use, and obviously, how frequently you use it. And still on the issue of charging, make sure that you wait until it’s fully charged before removing the charger. Regular charging damages batteries, reduces their capacity and limits their innate ability to preserve power.
5. Would this be appropriate for heavy trucks, like an 18 wheeler, for instance?
No. At the most, it can be used on a semi truck as the torque isn’t THAT high.
What I Think About The Dewalt Cordless Wrench….A Few Thoughts!
* Torque: 400 pounds, which is decent.
* Speed adjustment: Manual trigger speed adjustment.
* IPM (Impact Per minute): relatively high IPM. For you newbies out there, IPM determines the degree of contact between your wrench and the lug, nut or bolt. A high IPM means that the nut will stay firmly in position whilst you screw or unscrew it. This is arguably one of the most important aspects of this tool, coupled of course with the torque.
1. Store in a clean, dry place that’s free from moisture. This means not forgetting it outside no matter how tired you feel. Equally, you should keep it out of the sun.
2. Always use the right sockets. Never try to improvise as you’ll be placing your safety at risk.
3. Clean your wrench after use. Accumulated dirt and debris can cause jamming and misalignment.
4. Lubricate all moving parts with the recommended lubricant as instructed in the manual.
5. Don’t apply too much torque. Whilst torque is an awesome thing, sometimes too much of it can damage your sockets and studs. Plus, for safety reasons, high torque can be a disaster just waiting to happen. Often the best jobs require patience, so take your time.
It should be a welcome relief that the DEWALT 20V MAX Lithium Ion 1/2″ High Torque Impact Wrench comes with 2 spare batteries, a wall charger and a durable magnesium case.
Who can use this Impact wrench?
The list of applications for this Dewalt wrench is seemingly endless, making it useful in a wide range of environments and fields of specialisation.
* Automotive technicians.
* Mobile mechanics.
* Racing professionals.
How does this Impact wrench compare to other comparable Impact wrenches?
To be honest, this model fairs reasonably well when compared to other brand names like Makita, Milwaukee and Ryobi. When it comes to technical aspects like torque, IPM and speed adjustment, this product scores higher than Ryobi -beaten only when it comes to cost with the Ryobi brand being more affordable. However, when compared to Milwaukee, the Dewalt falls slightly short of the mark. With a Milwaukee impact wrench of the same capacity having things like a friction rings and pin detents, the temptation to switch sides can be unrelenting. But at the end of the day, we let the people decide.
What do users say about this Impact wrench?
Judging by user comments and reviews, it isn’t hard to imagine why people have stuck to the Dewalt brand. It’s a durable and handy piece of innovation, especially if you grew up using a spanner 🙂
Personally, I’d buy it over and over again. Price may be an issue at first, but you’ll soon forget about that when you have a flat tire during an emergency. Overall, I give it 4.5 out of 5 Stars. Well done to the technicians at Dewalt!!!